As often happens at the weekend I am torn about which of the several events happening Saturday I should attend. The Counihan Family March takes place in Kilburn High Road at 1pm, the Chalkhill Community Festival from 1-4pm and a crucial conference on the future of primary education is being held in Lambeth. All these events are important and worth supporting.
The Campaign Against Climate Change March in taking place in Central London. The threat posed by climate change is huge, so huge that it is almost impossible to comprehend its impact, and therefore so tempting to turn to something more manageable. It is almost like knowing we our all going to die eventually - too difficult to really take in so we ignore the inevitable and carry on living day to day because worrying about it will do no good.
Well, I believe we can do something, although the window of opportunity is shrinking rapidly. We have to shout from the rooftops about the issues and demand action from governments across the world. Tomorrow's march is a tiny part of that campaign.
Reasons to march tomorrow:
- The rapid melting of the Arctic ice cap.
- Floods and droughts driving up food prices and world hunger.
- Hurricane Sandy the most powerful Atlantic tropical storm since records began.
- Over 200 Flood Warnings and one Severe Flood Warning in Britain recently.
- Climate change will worsen the economic crisis as food prices soar and land is used to grow fuel instead of food
- Food and water shortages will cause armed conflict between countries
- Mass migrations will take place from affected areas with homes and livelihoods lost.
- The greed for fossil fuels will see oil companies turning to more and more dangerous extraction methods that damage the environment.
NATIONAL CLIMATE MARCH DECEMBER 1st12.00 -1.30 Assemble Grosvenor Square and build the "Grosvenor Square Keystone pipeline" from the Canadian High Commission to the US embassy !
Assemble 12.00 noon in Grosvenor Square
Join the Brent contingent at the entrance to Willesden Green tube at 11.15am
1.30 - 3.30 March to Parliament
3.30 - 4.30 Build a giant mock fracking rig outside parliament !